Friday, August 15, 2008

Another Summer in the Books

A few accomplishments this summer went unblogged, and before I return for development days on Monday and Tuesday, before the little buggers come back into the room with big, wide eyes and nothing resembling a clue, I thought I'd share my list of what I've left out.

Work - I know, I know, you're thinking, This little brat has the nerve to parade across my cyberspace with tales of his summer and then leads off his summer wrap-up with work!? But I'm beaming. My summer started with early mornings, coffee until 11 or so, and piece after dynamic piece to build my curriculum. I've taught it before, but this summer I gave it wings. As I said when the summer started, the time to work without distraction is a benefit to the profession.

Leisure - For the first time in my life, I finished a list of books solely for pleasure. Last summer, I only made it through some of Steinbeck's stragglers and Fitzgerald's Gatsby. This summer, I broke off a bigger chunk, and found time to slide some extras in as well. The list and necessary annotations/explanations, presented in order, follows:

The Last Shot by Darcy Frey - I don't have many nonfiction pieces under my belt, and this was one I included on my Advanced English 9 class's summer assignment list. I can't very well ask for something that I haven't read. It's an amazing book I found way too late.

On the Road by Jack Kerouac - Duluoz and I go back and forth. I have to be in the right state of mind to read him. I left about 120 pages of this unfinished back in 2005, but with travel plans set for Wyoming and a visit with Matt for the Pyramid backpacking trip, I needed to rekindle my affair. I finally finished this and went right on to Big Sur, which I ate up on the plane flights and layovers between Sacramento and Jackson and back.

Bird by Bird by Ann Lamott. I took this in bits, and although I'm not finished with it, it doesn't stand as something in need of cover-to-cover completion. Lamot writes with great candor and humor, and for anyone interested in writing fiction, this should be book number 1.

Ape and Essence by Aldous Huxley - I maintain that Brave New World changed my life, so it's appropriate that I picked this up on a whim back in 2004 after reading the jacket. Like so many books I buy, it sat on the shelf. I knocked it out on the plane ride back from Hawaii so that Matt and I had more fodder for our backpacking trip.

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - I'm chopping through this right now, but I'm wondering if all the utopian/distopian/futuristic literature is really necessary.

Creativity - The blog has, in truth, become a monster. I didn't foresee the thoughts and ideas that would come up and find their way to the screen. While I'll continue to muse and update here at Erasure Dust, expect the thoughts and ramblings to pick up over a Pop Quiz, my "professional" blog, as well.

In addition to the blog, I completed some short story work. I'll admit, I have a hard time with the investment portion of the work, but I harbor an infatuation with characterization, so the exercise ultimately proves worthwhile. The Lamott book really helped with adding plot, something I almost ignore while in my own cloud of verbosity.

I also continued writing songs, which is probably the most satisfying part of my "creative" flare. Despite any training or talent (or conviction), I winnowed a collection into another disc for friends, family, and interested parties. Unlike previous discs, this time I included a miniature booklet of lyrics to help prop the thing up.

Play - Aside from what I've previously showcased (Pyramid and Jeep Jamboree), Stephanie and I enjoyed a June weekend camping on the West Fork of the Carson River where we hiked part of the Tahoe Rim Trail to Dardanelles Lake. As you've seen, we tallied up the miles in Hawaii as well. Additionally, Stephanie and I are in training for the Cowtown Marathon (well, the half-marathon anyway). I racked up some high altitude miles in Jackson, and have since been seen looping William Land Park on a regular, sweaty basis. We're in incremental training now for the remaining weeks leading up to October's event.

Additionally, I've joined a softball team called the Hunter-Gatherers. We'll be playing in a men's league on Friday nights at the Sacramento Softball Complex on Howe Avenue. You probably won't see us because of our kick-ass uniforms though.

Support - The summer also included/will include plenty of unions. I was a groomsman when my college roommates Brittany and Sol finally tied the knot in Coloma. Friends Sage and Emily are up next, followed by Melissa and Michael, and then Carrie and Scott. The summer of love, indeed.

All in all, it's been another amazing summer. I'm rather sad to see it go, but I'm ready for the challenges and fun ahead.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey Kyle. I think about you every time I drive passed your school. I was going to ask you how things are are going, but I already know from reading your blog.

Let's get together some time. I haven't seen you in a year.

Brandon