Thursday, October 6, 2011

Back in black

The post-PR hangover is officially gone, and after a day of rest of Monday I was back at it again. Now, however, it's officially a marathon training schedule, and it's officially fall.

My body responded impressively well considering the post-race pain in my achilles and the fatigue that set in around mile nine of the race. I didn't have the typical aches and pains I felt following the halves in March and May, and appreciated the chance to build in ice and compression on the troubled spots--not just my body as a whole.

With no speed workout on Tuesday due to Sunday's race, I logged an early 8, then another 8 on Wednesday with a set of four hill sprints on the overpass. Amazingly, the pain in the heel and tendon--while still present when stretching and testing in the house--was virtually gone during the run. Even after Thursday's 9 miler (5 of which consisted of a marathon-paced tempo), I can admit with astonishment that my running is not hampered by the injury.

Knock on wood that home therapy and general TLC continue to produce positive results.

One thing to add about these early runs this week: the weather. I actually broke out the long sleeve shirt yesterday, and considered gloves today. It was spitting rain and gusty, and the clouds provided a pinkish, orange glow in the morning darkness.

The skunks came out to admire the morning as well. Today I dodged a total of five. It must be pretty funny to see someone running a 6:40 pace in the dark. But when that dude starts clapping and barking, and the flashlight strapped to his head starts bouncing about, it must look downright schizophrenic.

Stephanie informed me that we're only about two weeks from tapering. I'm sure that will sink in after my 60 and 63 mile weeks pass. Nothing says "Saturday" like a schedule that reads, "20 miles w/ last 6 @ marathon pace."

See you out there...

No comments: