Saturday, October 1, 2011

First day, last day.

October first, and the last day before Urban Cow.

With a cross country event in Yolo today at 8:00, I again found myself in the pre-5:00 streets of Land Park, getting a final 4 miles in before the coaching and the racing.

The morning was extraordinary. The sky held an eerie glow from the surrounding light pollution, and I could make out wispy clouds and the brighter constellations. Because I only went four, my route circled the park. But when my calendar involves longer runs, the view overhead seems far more impressive from the levee and riverside.

The Achilles and ankle feel better than they've felt since this affliction began last week, but there's still stiffness and pain. The home remedies seem to be working (foam rolling, ice on the ankle, heat on the calf, toe raises, and single-leg squats). I slept in compression socks again last night, but think that after wearing them to the invitational this morning, that will be it for me.

My physical therapist will be on hand at the race tomorrow, and he has promised to tape my ankle. I look forward to shaving half my leg later. Welcome to October, race fans!

1 comment:

The Brittons said...

Good luck on your half, hope your body holds up. When in doubt, stop pushing! Hope to see you tomorrow!!